Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Cursing Christians

Is it weird or bad that I like when my coworkers curse? I work at a small Christian non-profit.

One of my coworkers just called and said he was calling in response to the email I sent him with some smart-ass comments. I just cracked up and raised my level of respect for this coworker.

I'm not a very good curser when speaking, but I like it when people I respect a lot throw a curse word in or two. I heard a rumor that the pastor of our church teaches his kids some of the main curse words and teaches them that they're just words. I love that he's teaching them how things really are.

Although, I do have to say, I'm not a big fan of the f-bomb. I'm relatively used to it (sadly) because of my lack of discernment in TV, movies and music, but I don't care for it in real life so much.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Matty said...

Is it weird or bad that I knew who you were talking about as soon as you started this post? I almost never curse unless I'm quoting someone (as though being accurate gives you a moral waiver). I think I stopped because, as with drinking, I tend to over-do it with all questionable habits. It's either that or the fact that I really enjoyed to use the motherf-bomb.

The Coach said...

Ah well, there's nothing like a cursing pastor/preacher/teacher/candlestickmaker. I realize that coarse words are, of course, just words, but sometimes you've got to use the ones that work and avoid the ones that really don't. I've got an actual print copy of the Oxford English Dictionary (I'm obsessed and that's all there is to it), and there's more than a page on the history of s-h-*-t, and I'm not ashamed to show it to my freshman classes.

This does not mean that I encourage, much less allow, the use of these words in class, but we don't say "Pardon my French" just because they're spineless weenies. We say it because all of the good(?) swear words are a result of the Norman invasion in 1066. (except for ape-sh*t, which is only half a result of invading French aristocracy and half good ol' American ingenuity).