Monday, February 12, 2007

Sneezer? Am I Prone to Illness?

So, why would I pick "sneezer" as part of the title of my new blog? Am I prone to "expel air forcibly from the mouth and nose in an explosive, spasmodic involuntary action resulting chiefly from irritation of the nasal mucous membrane?" Not particularly!

The reason I threw "sneezer" up there with my name is because I've often been told that I am, according to Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point, a maven on some subjects. Before Malcolm Gladwell was popular, back in the day, I read a great book called Unleashing the Ideavirus by the extremely insightful Seth Godin. In Ideavirus, Seth talks a lot about people who like to spread the word about things they think are good or bad, and he refers to them as "sneezers." I've always fancied myself more as an accidental maven, so a sneezer seems appropriate. But, I do like to talk about ideas or technology or restaurants or TV shows that I think are particularly interesting, for one reason or another. Those are the fun topics for me.

So, here's a new spot to spout about what I find interesting. I opted to start a new blog. My previous blog was read by pretty much just my parents and my husband's parents, and was more of an update on life in our family. Some of that will be here, I'm sure, but I'd prefer to have this for me and for a random audience to just share things I think are cool. So, thanks for joining me! I'm sure you'll get sneezed on in the process, but hopefully that will be a more positive experience than you are expecting!

1 comment:

Matty said...

Since you are so prolific, I started at the top, most recent post and worked my way down. This explains why I welcomed you on your latest blog and commented on your prolificness on your first one. Did you follow that?