Wednesday, April 18, 2007

How Do We Pick Who We Vote For?

Okay, I'm sorry if this is a wrong or insensitive time to bring this up, but I was reading an article just now about the Virginia Tech horrors, and the article had a picture of the governor of Virginia, Tim Kaine. I don't know a single thing about Tim Kaine or his beliefs or background or politics. I also don't know a thing about VOA News, where I got the article. But, is this a standard picture of the governor, or is the paper trying to say he's an idiot by including an idiotic picture of him in the article?

I think I have kind-of an intuition about people when I meet them or see them. I know I judge a lot by first impressions and I almost always stick to whatever my initial impressions are. That means I'm either really judgmental or else I am very discerning. I'll say I'm discerning, of course. :o)

The bottom line is I would not have voted for this fella. He does not look trustworthy at all to me. I think some people look trustworthy and some people look like used car salesmen (or women). This dude definitely looks like he'd be asking top dollar for a four-cylinder car that has only three working. I do have to say to the paper, though, "Is this the best picture you could find?" Maybe the media propaganda is just working really well on me, but I'm not feeling so confident in this particular elected official. How about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What I've noticed is that everytime a criminal is shown on the news, it's a terrible picture. I have had that same exact thought - the media tries to villify or flaunt someone in every way to include pictures. They never show a picture of the killer hugging his mom on Christmas morning!

I think a lot of people who don't know what they believe or where they stand on issues end up voting for the person they "like" the best (which is pretty sad). However, most charasmatic people I know are also the ones I trust the least. Maybe we have the gift of discernment that the "others" don't have...catch my drift sista?