Friday, March 30, 2007

Reign Over Me


Almost forgot to give my review of Reign Over Me, which Phil and I saw last weekend. We all knew Don Cheadle was a spectacular actor, but Adam Sandler was a surprise. Well-done, good movie.

There was a good level of humor and a good level of seriousness. I appreciate movies like this one that have a specific storyline, but give a general application to everyone's life, even if they have not been through specifically what the main character has been through. Even though I haven't experienced great loss when it comes to the lives of my immediate family, I can appreciate the process of mourning in other ways and the role of friends and family when it comes to healing. The reminder to enjoy the time with those in our lives in this moment was great. It's easy to get stuck in the day-to-day chores instead of enjoying the blessings of time together with friends and family. Great reminders, given in an entertaining but poignant way.

I should note that I'm generally not a fan of dramas, but I can tell the difference between good dramas and bad dramas. I abhor crying, especially from movies. When someone says to me, "The Notebook was a great movie! I cried my eyes out!" I say, "Yeah, I'm definitely not seeing it now." And, for the record, I still haven't seen The Notebook and I don't really have a desire to see it. I did cry one happy tear during Reign Over Me, which is an acceptable Kacie-crying-in-movie level, so I can recommend it with a clear conscience. Another one worth seeing!

You might be wondering at this point if I ever don't recommend movies. I am a pretty optimistic person generally, but, don't worry -- summer is coming and I'm sure I'll discover my fair share of duds for the year. Hang tight!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comment box tells me that I can use HTML tags, but I don't know how the heck to do that, so you're just getting a plain, tagless response. I am very jealous that you got to see 'Reign Over Me'. I want to see that so bad. I mean, I am going to see 'Blades of Glory' tonight, so I suppose I'll be ok. oh, and one more thing...don't you hate when you order a strawberry Italian cream soda and it just tastes like milk and you hate milk? Me too. But I'm still drinking it. Not sure why.

Kacie said...

HEY! We're going to see "Blades" tonite, too!!! When are you going? Where?!!? Call me!

Anonymous said...

Hey, let us know what you think of Blades! It looks really funny! BTW, we got our keys! Our stuff shows up on Friday! I've completely overused exclamation marks in this post!