Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Ketchup (or Catch Up ... Whichever You Prefer)

The past couple of weeks have been madness with an under-the-weather genius at home and an over-sized queen quilt that must be finished in time for Heidi's wedding in two months (or, ideally, for her shower in one month)! Ahh! Lots going on. But, let's get down to business.

As a self-proclaimed over-doser of media, I first need to catch up on movie reviews. We'll get into Sopranos and Entourage and 24 later.


Blades of Glory

In true form for Will Ferrell, Blades was over-the-top wrong, but still really funny at the same time. The characters were ridiculous. Jon Heder did a good job of not just being Napoleon and had a really funny part in this. People kept calling him a little girl, which was hysterical. I think I laughed harder than I would have if I were watching this movie by myself just because of the people in the theater around me. I laugh harder when Phil is laughing, and he did his fair share on this one. But, also, I was sitting next to a group of 20-something guys and the one guy next to me kept saying quietly, "What the f***?" in shock. He was cracking me up.

Bottom line, it's a funny movie worth seeing for an escape. Doesn't matter if you see it on the big screen unless you like seeing it with a crowd like I do. If Will Ferrell usually makes you laugh, you won't be let down by this flick.


Shooter

I wasn't holding my breath for the release date of Shooter when we saw the previews, but it turned out to be a good movie with an interesting plot and good characters. Ever since The Itailian Job, I'm going to have to say I'm more or less a Mark Wahlberg fan. He's a decent actor.

Movies about "professional" shooters are fascinating to me. I don't know how people can do that and not have it affect them. On one hand, I think I'd be an emotional wreck if I killed people for a living. But, I could also see how I'd have no remorse for taking out a mass murderer. Of course, as my skillz in Halo 2 (or any other first-person shooter game) show, I could never be a shooter of any kind anyway. I'm the kid running across the plains who gets taken out in the same spot 20 times in a row by the same sniper in the hills. Usually that's Phil. He'd be a great sniper.

Anyway, back on topic, Shooter is pretty decent. If you want to see lots of shooting, some napalm explosions, some pipe bomb explosions, and some revenge killing, this is the movie for you. Probably renting it is okay, but we saw it in digital at the mall and it was crystal clear. Definitely try to see it in HD if you wait until it's a rental. But, I say, "Go Marky-Mark. Tell Danny and Donnie 'hi' from me."

No comments: