Friday, February 15, 2008

Right and Responsibility

A couple of weekends ago Phil and I took an NRA basic handgun course from a friend and his two colleagues. By completing the classroom portion of the course (with flying colors, might I add), Phil and I are now allowed under Colorado law to apply for our concealed carry licenses.


When Phil first suggested to me that we take this course, I was thinking he intended for this to be a basic self-defense class and that honestly freaked me out a bit. Phil kept asking me in the days leading up to the class if I was "excited" about it. I kept telling him that I knew it was important, but I was doing it because I knew it was important -- not because I thought it would be fun. I am not generally afraid of guns because I was raised around them -- all of my friends growing up were hunters, so there were shotguns in the back of all of their truck windows (guys and girls, by the way). But, I didn't know anyone who carried a gun solely for defense, only for hunting. I've shot shotguns out in the woods with friends, but had never touched a handgun before last weekend. Anyway, I told Phil that I don't like thinking about self-defense because it makes me feel paranoid. Those of you who know me know that despite my occassional bouts of smart-ass-ness, all I really think about is sunflowers and bunnies. I told this to Phil and he said, "I think of the same thing only in my mind I'm there with a shotgun!" So, there you go -- we have similar dreams.


Anyway, the handgun class ended up being extremely fun and so incredibly informative. I feel way more comfortable around guns now because I know a little bit about how to handle them safely and how they work. Before we went to the actual shooting range at the end, our instructors jumped out of NRA mode for a few minutes and gave us a bunch of information about their experience with concealed carrying (because they all three do carry handguns everywhere they go). One of the instructors said before we consider getting our concealed carry licenses, we should seriously consider one question and only we will know whether or not there is any hesitation in our minds when asked this question: "If you were faced with a person heading towards you or someone you love with intent to harm them and, knowing if you shoot you may kill another human being, could you still pull the trigger to protect yourself or someone else being threatened?" I might have had hesitation a few years or weeks ago, but I have no hesitation at all now -- my answer is easily "yes." Especially with the shootings at New Life Church a few weeks ago and the shootings at these universities. Think of how many lives would have been saved in Illinois had one person there been trained well and carried a concealed handgun! I feel like I need more training before I'm ready to carry with me, but it's definitely something I'd like to consider in the future months.


So, now to the fun part of the class -- the shooting range. There's a really nice indoor range in Colorado Springs called Whistling Pines. Our instructors were members there so we got to go with them to rent handguns (since we don't own one yet) and try them out. The goal the first time out is to hit an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper from five yards away. Here were my first six rounds on the .22 I tried first:





Yes, that's 5/6 in the center! :o) Here's a zoom-in on the bullseye:




Phil's bragging about my shooting to everyone we know -- it's the ultimate compliment for this wife. :o) We went on to try several 9 mm handguns and a couple of .45s. The .45s were a bit much for me at this juncture, but the 9 mms were perfect. When we get guns, this is probably what I'll get. Phil might get himself a .45, we'll see. Anyway, it was a great experience and I'm looking forward to the next training we do!


I think the right to carry guns is just that -- a right. Most people who have accidents with guns are not well educated/disciplined/careful with them and most people who are committing crimes with guns are just plain psychotic and often don't acquire the guns until they're ready to go shoot someone. Those of us who are trained with guns have the right to carry them to protect ourselves and those around us and I think this country is better for it.

4 comments:

Matty said...

Kacie,
This is AWESOME! I am so excited that you guys got to do this course. My opinion is that whether or not you intend to carry - or even own - a handgun, you should at least how to handle one safely. It goes along with how to drive a motorcycle and a manual transmission car, how to start a campfire and how to use a pocket knife as the things everyone should know how to do.

As a side note, the reason that shootings at schools are never stopped by responsibly armed citizens (as they are in Israel, BTW) is because schools and universities are almost always gun-free zones; supposedly for safety. Many don't even allow their students who are actually off-duty law enforcement officers to carry on campus.

Congrats on becoming a more informed and well-equipped citizen. Good luck on your continued improvement in hand-gunning.


I miss my friends and my guns...not necessarily in that order (hahahaha).

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun! I always enjoyed shooting 9mms and "M16s" while in the Air Force. I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I'll add my opinion and say I'd make the case that the ones who constantly pack heat are just as paranoid as those who are afraid of guns. If I had a dime for everytime in 30 years I wish I'd had a gun on me for self defense I'd be flat broke. :) However, it is a right and I have been thinking about maybe getting a handgun just for fun!

Aaron said...

If Apple ever made a gun I know you'd be the first one to buy it!

Marshall said...

Let me know if you guys want to talk gun have some great ideas for you guys.... I have a 40 if you guys what to try that and then you guys could have matching gun calibers.....Haaaaa