Friday, March 23, 2007

My Music != Me Happy?

I've done a little bit of unscientific research on myself and the effect music has on me at work over the past couple of days. Here's what happened:

On Tuesday, I had the office to myself and I listened to Jason Mraz all day. Yes, all day. :o) Happy feelings.

On Wednesday, I had the office to myself so I put my iPod of 1,845 songs on "Shuffle Songs" and disallowed myself from skipping any songs. Very melancholy feelings all day and evening.

On Thursday, I shared the office and we failed to put any music on at all. Neutral to fine feelings all day.

Today, I've been at work for a while and I'm listening to a playlist of 165 songs I created the other day that has evolved over the past couple of months. It's currently called "On-The-Go 3" but it consists of Mraz, Red, The Fray, Linkin Park, Seether, Staind, The Ataris, Modest Mouse, Petidee, Nelly and various other random artists and songs. Super happy morning so far!

I knew before this experiment that my moods are greatly affected by what music is on. Sure, other things happened on each day, but nothing horrible or wonderful that would alter my overall mood for the day so dramatically. I think it's weird that not all of my music on my iPod currently makes me smile. Of the 1,845 songs on my iPod, it's safe to say that almost every single song or artist has been my favorite at one point or another over the past 15 years. But now some of those exact artists and songs make me feel really melancholy. I can't think of specific really sad or melancholy memories associated with these songs. Maybe I'm just bored of them. But, there are other songs I've known for longer than 15 years that still make me really happy! I can think of no logical explanation except for my evolving preferences.

It's curious how our tastes and preferences change so dramatically over the years without our notice. I've probably had the same sort of evolution of preferences with movies, clothes, hairstyles, house decor and other things, but it's not something quite as tangible to me as music is. I can feel good music in my bones, and my bones are currently quite happy with The Ataris' take on a classic, "The Boys of Summer"!

3 comments:

Matty said...

I must add that I could listen to ANYTHING on casual Friday and my mood would be good. Just an observation from my own non-scientific, autobiographical research.

Kacie said...

Yeah, but how do you explain Tuesday? Tuesdays usually stink.

Matty said...

I see your point there. I was just trying to say that there are more variables than just music.